Saturday, October 8, 2016

A Homespun Year..DIY designer style Pompom trimmed silk scarf

 
A designer style scarf for under $10? Sure, why not!
 
I love a good scarf and they are so versatile, adding a bit of panache to the plainest of outfits, and offering a little warmth when a breeze springs up or the weather turns chilly. Such useful things.
 
Surprisingly for little wispy rectangles or squares of fabric, they are ridiculously expensive. And I'm not even talking Hermes or Gucci here. Just your regular department store stuff. It's nothing to see them with a price tag of anything from $60-$200, for something that doesn't look that special.
 
I haunt the remnant bin at my favourite haberdashery for the makings of scarves. This fabulous vividly printed silk was an absolute bargain at $3. There was about a quarter of a metre (yard) and it was quite wide, so a good size for my scarf project.
 
I bought the fun neon pink and green trim at the same place, for under $5, and I still have some left for another project.

 
Here's how...
 
Fold your fabric lengthwise in half, right side to right side. Pin, ensuring the selvedge edges meet squarely and neatly. Trim any excess fabric from the long edge. Quite often, these remnants are not as straight as you'd like, so you might find you lose a little bit of fabric, but for this it doesn't matter.

 
Now go back, and insert your trim inside the two halves of your fabric. Make sure the feature of the trim, is facing the inside folded edge, and the edge to be stitched is aligned with the open, cut edge of your fabric. As in poms poms, edges of lacy trim, fringe ends...whatever...facing the folded edge inside your fabric. This will ensure that once you've stitched it into place, and turned it right side out, the trim will be facing outward as in my picture above.
 
Pin into place along all edges....
 

 When you're done, it should look like this. You shouldn't be able to see your trim at all. If you can see your trim, you've done it the wrong way. I only say this because I've done it myself, and then wondered what I'd done wrong, when I turned my scarf right way out and couldn't see my trim....lol!
 
 
Stitch into place, making sure that you leave a small opening at the very end of your stitching, through which to turn your scarf out the right way.

 
See...like this. If your fabric is soft and silky, you really only need an opening of about 10cms (4 inches). You just push a bit of the right side of the fabric through the hole (a bit like turning socks inside out), and then gently pull the remainder of the scarf through to have it facing right way out.


 
Stitch the opening closed either by hand or with your sewing machine. I find that if I stitch along the header of the fabric trim, it's unnoticeable.
 
Press carefully with an iron set on Polyester blend or around medium heat, and wear or gift with pride. I love the colours of this Summer weight scarf...

 
....and it looks fab with my other recently completed project, my neon jewel embellished jacket...

 
Everyone has admired my scarf, and at under $10 and for 15 minutes of time, they're a great gift!
 
The key to making your scarf look 'high end', as I mentioned here, is to check out the department store and designer scarves, and seek out similar colours and quality look and feel type fabrics. Soft, drapey, silky, fabrics are best. Fine lawn and cotton are great too, and even muslin can make a lovely scarf, hand dyed and trimmed prettily. Stay away from anything stiff or thick, unless its for warmth. As an accessory, silky, soft, drapey is best.
 
Do you like scarves? Will you make one for yourself or someone you love?
 
...Mimi...

22 comments:

  1. I love a scarf too! I see gorgeous fabrics and this by the meter is so much cheaper than the scarves in the stores! More choices too colour wise. I love silk and I love chiffon! AND I have a trip to a giant fabric warehouse coming up! Thanks Mimi. Have a beautiful weekend! with love Annabel.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Annabel...a trip to a fabric warehouse is so much fun! Do let me know what you buy! Silk and chiffon know no peer for scarves. Here in our climate, they're even warm enough for Winter. You're so clever, I know you'll put this idea to good use. Have a lovely week! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  2. Yes I love scarves and scour op shops for lovely ones. Silk is my very favourite! This trim idea might be just the thing to revamp some of my older non-silk ones. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EMW, the choice in trims these days is astounding! Many are not expensive, and if they are, you can usually source something similar on eBay. They make such a difference. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  3. Very smart. Great idea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! I love the bright colors and the great idea! Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, how did I know you'd like this post? Perhaps it was the pink? Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  5. Thanks for this fun little tutorial, Mimi. I'm a big fan of scarves, and wear one most days. They're so versatile - I prefer them for colour over a necklace, they add a bit of warmth, and as I'm breastfeeding, they are handy for covering up when nursing. But I agree - scarves are so overpriced in the fashion shops. Mine are all bought at op shops, on clearance, or gifts from family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I'm glad you like the little tutorial. They're such an easy thing to make yourself, and as Annabel said, you get a far greater choice of colour and fabric. Lucky you to find some on Clearance that you like! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  6. Beautiful scarf. I do the same as you. I cannot afford designer scarves. A scarf adds class to your look. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thel, I agree. It is a classy look, isn't it? Mimi xxx

      Delete
  7. The scarf is gorgeous ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Summer. I must pop over for a visit to your lovely blog! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  8. I hope this finds you well. The scarf is gorgeous! You are so creative and inspire me all the time.
    Now that the hurricane is gone I can get back to some creative ideas.
    Thank you for sharing with us.
    Best wishes, the other Mimi !!
    http://inmyprimetime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mimi, likewise you inspire me as well. I'm glad you are all safe and well there. Love Mimi #2 xxx

      Delete
  9. Hi MiMi, what a pretty scarf! I've always been a fan of fall fringe and your scarf is such a fun, classy way to use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda. I'm glad you like it. It is fun and classy, isn't it! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  10. This is a great idea. Scarves are so much fun. I'll be on the look out of cute fabrics. I've made wool scarves before. Thanks for linking up to Monday Social. I hope you will be back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie. Yes, I'll be visiting you regularly! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  11. SO cute! :)

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx